I suggest you ...

Save/Restore/Share settings

Adding the ability to backup ones own settings and to be able to share it with other families to create a strong list that every one has worked on.

510 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Markus RogenMarkus Rogen shared a merged idea: Synchronisation of settings between several devices  ·   · 
    A FriendA Friend shared a merged idea: have, on the 'URL keywords' on the SETUP section a number of default words....  ·   · 
    Gary BoyadjianGary Boyadjian shared a merged idea: allow word list  ·   · 
    RachidRachid shared a merged idea: Backup setting is very important  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Import / Export all configuration of k9  ·   · 
    CesarCesar shared a merged idea: makle allow list for k12  ·   · 
    LeeLee shared a merged idea: Allow a list or multiple keywords to be entered at once, useful especially for initial K9 setup  ·   · 
    Anonymous face in the crowdAnonymous face in the crowd shared a merged idea: Internet addiction (need to block all websites) & add multiple "allow websites" at one time...one by one manual input too long..  ·   · 
    R FreemanR Freeman shared a merged idea: allow sharing of settings between computers  ·   · 
    AlessioAlessio shared a merged idea: A word list about the contents to block  ·   · 
    GlennGlenn shared a merged idea: Allow Editing the blacklist like a txt file. - or enable paste a batch of web addresses once, or enable import from txt file.  ·   · 
    JacekJacek shared a merged idea: Allow to export and import white and blacklists  ·   · 
    choppermiochoppermio shared a merged idea: make backup for the blocked site and blocked keyword  ·   · 
    XCLNXCLN shared a merged idea: Option to enter a list of whitelisted URL's so faster than one by one  ·   · 
    midomido shared a merged idea: add a feature to save and load k9 settings (all of it) in the next versions  ·   · 
    Ian BrettIan Brett shared a merged idea: Create a group policy so settings can be shared for an entire class or a family of children.  ·   · 
    GustaafGustaaf shared a merged idea: Import Word Lists and site lists  ·   · 
    under review  ·  ToonetownAdminToonetown (Admin, K9 Web Protection) responded  · 

This is a feature we are considering adding in a future release of K9 – however, we are wondering if people want it more for “Save/Restore” functionality (for backup purposes), “Share” functionality (to share, for example, white or black lists with friends), or “Central Management” functionality (to keep multiple K9 installations in-sync with one another).

Please give your feedback and suggestions as comments. Also, if you are looking for “Centralized Management” functionality, you may want to also add your votes to the “Remote/Central Management” idea at https://k9webprotection.uservoice.com/forums/84793-general/suggestions/1206565-remote-central-administration

41 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Howard PlumleyHoward Plumley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Inability to share or transfer whitelist settings is becoming a deal breaker. You are apparently still at the same place as last year. If we do a tight category setup there are over a hundred sites we have to add to the 'Allowed' list. We have a dozen systems we are testing (bought licenses). That is 1200 entries I have to type in. Management wants more systems protected and I won't approve more until this issue is resolved. Thank you.

• yekumpurkanyekumpurkan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A workaround is to copy and paste your whitelist to an excel sheet and create a macro using iMacros to import the sites.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We really need this option. 16 PC's with over 50 sites to whitelist.
        Does anyone have a temporary solution ASAP?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,
        Thanks for this GREAT software. I'm an IT and I've a lot of customers using it.
        I'm also looking for an option to copy/share setting so I wont need to reset the K9 for every customer.

Thank you !!!

אני מחפש משהו שאני יוכל לעקוב אחרי הסינון אני מנהל קבוצת נוער שהייתי רוצה לשלוט על הסינון שיש להם

• ChristopherChristopher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For me, it would be for Save/Restore functionality only, and I would like the feature, please.

• HeyzeussHeyzeuss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree, I need to uninstall and reinstall in order to troubleshoot a network issue. This means I need a configuration backup. Also, I use this on more than one computer, so the ability to duplicate settings would help.

• Gerd WilhelmiGerd Wilhelmi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would use it for central management/sync of multiple Mac and pc in the house.

This is a must have as my custom URL lists are extensive (both white and black)

• NewtonNewton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would use this for backup.

This would save lots of tedium having to otherwise re-enter a long list of URLs or keywords after a reinstall.

Also good for self-modders who "set and forget" their settings and are likely to forget them after not checking settings for a while.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think a Save/Restore is imperative for backup. Many a time I have had to uninstall and then reinstall and lost all my settings!!!

I am at a virtual school and we have over 300 laptops the stuudents use at home. We are constantly reimaging the laptops and would really appreciate a way to copy settings or to change the product key after install. Is there a file that we could change the product key?

• ChadChad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am primarily interested in the ability to keep multiple K9 installations in-sync with one another (centrally managed functionality). However, the ability to share/give a configuration with another family, is also a great idea.

Here's an easy workaround:

1. Download iMacros at http://www.iopus.com/download/imacros/ and install it.
        2. Download whitelist.iim at http://goo.gl/nk8OJ and save in the macro folder.
        3. Log in to K9 and go to Web Site Exceptions.
        4. Using iMacros, run the whitelist.iim.

You'll now have about 200 sites added to your whitelist with just a few clicks.

P.S. The same method can be applied for blacklists or keyword lists.

I think I have a workaround to export & import lists. Do the Mods let posting the method, or can individuals post links to their lists in Dropbox (with email address) and I'll format it so it can be imported?

• XCLNXCLN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just being able to export a configuration and import to another computer would be a simple and great step forward - just make it a paying feature, even low priced ..

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base